Elder Abuse Prevention
MACOA is proud to partner and serve as a member of the Elder Abuse Taskforce to protect and prevent elders from abuse.
MACOA is committed to the safety of all Seniors and dedicated to protecting them from elder abuse.
Adult Abuse Facts:
- Abuse is a painful reality for thousands of Alabama’s elderly and disabled adults.
- The elderly population is the fastest growing segment of our society.
- The hidden problem of adult abuse is on the rise as elders are living longer and requiring more care from others.
- Adult abuse often occurs among families experiencing stress.
- Most adults desire to continue living independently.
- Although adult abuse usually occurs in a family setting, health care or social service providers may abuse those in their care.
- Adult abuse can occur in all racial and ethnic groups and among families in all income levels.
- Adults often suffer humiliation and embarrassment whenever they are abused, neglected or exploited.
- Regardless of age or ability, each individual deserves to be safe from harm by those who come in contact with them on a regular basis.
Report Elder Abuse:
Elder Abuse Hotline
Contact the local County DHR Office Adult Abuse Hotline
1-800-458-7214 or contact local law enforcement
JUNE 15th IS WORLD ELDER ABUSE AWARENESS DAY
Click here to learn more and how you can get involved
Please visit the Alabama Department of Human Resources at:
to learn more about Adult Protective Services.